Friday 16 January 2009

You have how many airplanes in your back yard?

I get a lot of urban legend email from friends and relatives -- the ludicrous or outrageous ones I'll go dig up some details to put them to rest. When I got a chain email with interesting pictures of airplanes in storage -- it was interesting enough I had to check it out. Well, maybe "storage" isn't quite the right word -- the email called it the "Bone Yard". Google maps satellite view shows it very well..

Take some time to zoom in and browse around on the satellite view. Helicopters, bombers, several generations of fighter jets stretched out in nice neat rows. Some of the bombers are in massive pieces.

From the military web site:
The 309th Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group (309 AMARG) is a
one-of-a-kind specialized facility within the Air Force Materiel Command
structure. 309 AMARG provides critical aerospace maintenance and regeneration
capabilities for Joint and Allied/Coalition warfighters in support of global
operations and agile combat support for a wide range of military
operations.

elsewhere it indicates "more than 4,400 aircraft and 13 aerospace vehicles" are on that site. Here and I think it is cool to have a 2 car garage...

I'd love to have the opportunity to go photograph there. You could probably spend years working it as a subject.

I guess this one isn't just an urban legend that someone made up. :)

rootie
ps. Why have I included no pictures for this? I haven't taken any. Rather than dig up some internet images of questionable origin and unknown permissions or copyright, it is morally appropriate that I should direct you to sites you can explore for yourselves. There are a lot of pictures on the web.

No comments: