Tuesday 6 January 2009

kidstuff: Mmmm, Gazelle tastes like chicken!

We watched Disney's The Lion King with Nicolas the other night. He has been a lion cub ever since.

We now pause for a *BIG PARENTING TIP* for anyone reading who hasn't already been through it: If your child is reluctant to do something, but they are in a state of active imagination -- if you can align your desire with their imagination, "NO!" will become "YES!" in the blink of an eye.

Dinner was to be chicken and mashed potatoes. Queue the loud 4 year old whiny voice: "I don't want chicken!" He was busy playing (surprise surprise) and didn't want to stop. Mom and I both know he eats chicken, it was mostly a matter of not wanting to stop playing. Earlier, while playing, he and I had chased imaginary gazelles and pretended to eat them (FYI: household cats can make a very good gazelle, fast and elusive when spooked) Thinking on my feet, in response to the refusal to eat chicken, "what about gazelle? Would you like some gazelle for dinner instead? I hear it tastes just like chicken..."

"No!" became "yes!" and dinner was served.

This same technique works at bath time for washing paws, mane or fins, scrubbing bugs off the grille (brushing teeth) of a pretend car, putting tires (shoes) on his feet, adorning a little space craft with "thermal shielding" (a winter coat) for going outside, etc.

The possibilities are limited only by your imagination.

rootie

2 comments:

Jenn Casey said...

Seconded! My son is usually a soldier, so he eats rations instead of dinner, sleeps in a bunk in the barracks instead of his bed in his room, and will instantly comply with most requests if I give him a "ten-HUT! Your orders are to brush your teeth, pick up toys, etc."

Have you ever read "Playful Parenting"? (author's name escapes me just now) It has lots of suggestions along these lines. Also, I think it's just a very fun way to live--why be boring, you know?

Rootie said...

I haven't read that book. I've got a couple love & logic books that I haven't made time for yet...