Tuesday 25 November 2008

August Rush

I just finished watching August Rush. The plot line was simplistic, but the music and musical production took my breath away. I often judge a movie by how much I find myself engaged in it. This one made me want to play music something awful. (Of course, anyone who has heard me play knows I'm awful. anyone care for a solo harmonica concert? :) Highly recommended. (the movie, not my harmonica playing)

This concludes the official portion of today's blog post.

The human mind and human body are amazing things. Adaptable and creative, full of possibility beyond what most of us would aspire. The world (and for most of the readers of this blog) the country (social, economic, and political environment) in which we live provides us with almost limitless opportunity to pursue personally fulfilling interests, sometimes even for money. We can be artist, engineer, teacher, baker, musician, friend, athlete, parent, and politician; sometimes all in one day.

With all this seemingly limitless possibility, we have one life, and one day at a time in that life to spend, to move in the direction we want to go. In these 24 hour blocks, we have 8 hours for sleep, 3 hours for eating, 2 hours for commuting to and from work, another hour for getting dressed and ready in the morning, 8 hours for work, and that leaves 3 hours to split between family time and personal pursuits. (no, those numbers aren't going to match yours -- drop it, ok!?)

There is the fallacy of the theory-practice dichotomy; the idea that theory and practice won't align. In theory, you have limitless possibility, but in practice, you have 3 hours per day in which to make good choices. It's a fallacy in this specific instance, because the theory and the practice are both wrong.

The practice is wrong because you have more than 3 hours per day to make the choices that direct your life. It is a question of personal priorities. It is a question of personal purpose.

The theory is wrong because you don't have limitless possibility. I can practice my entire life and never be as good a skater as Nadia, as good a biker as Lance nor as good a theoretical physicist as Albert. Ability aside, there aren't enough hours in the day to pursue all those directions. It just won't happen.

Music is one thing that my heart yearns for which has gotten the short straw many times among my priorities. August Rush reminded me what I've set aside, and I enjoyed the reminder.

thanks for reading,

rootie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like one to put in the Netflix queue!

(Wasn't Nadia a gymnast?)

Rootie said...

Yup, Nadia was a gymnast, not a skater. My bad.

Rootie said...

Though there are skaters named Nadia...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder. Enjoyed your thoughts.