Monday 14 July 2008

my 300 virtual slaves working around the clock

Why is it that we have the life that we do? Houses and yards suitable to be an estates, fancy cars, every imaginable electrical convenience and distraction (even battery operated, portable!), modern medical science cures for diseases that have killed millions.

I'll chalk my wonderful life up to the 300 people who are working around the clock to be sure that I am successful. This figure comes from the Mineral Information Institute, each American consumes energy roughly the equivalent to 300 people working around the clock to support their lives.

While I am sure you can find all sorts of minor quibbles over the accuracy of the numbers, the difference between equivalent energy of 200 and 400 people doesn't change the result that we use energy, and lots of it, to improve our lives, to make them better than they were even as recently 200 years ago.

I'm not sure I agree with the 12 pounds of salt per person per year...I don't think I eat that much ice cream. *yum*

rootie

No comments: